The Canterbury Secondary Schools Triathlon is now 1 month away.
There are no significant changes to the last few years with team and individual options on what should be a realistic distance for all (300m swim 350m / bike 9km / run 3km). The run course will be 3 laps of 1km this year which is different to the normal 2 laps.
Please encourage as many student to take up the challenge. We welcome you to bring tents along to have a base to keep students together.
Medals will be awarded to top 3 in the individual and team events with trophies for the winners.
All details can be found here https://www.canterburytriclub.co.nz/canterbury-sceondary-schools-triathlon
Entry is here https://eventplus.net/CSS20
CANTERBURY SECONDARY SCHOOLS TRIATHLON
Date: Friday 20th March 2020
- 08:45 – registration opens
- 9:45 All males
- 10:15 All females
- 10:45 All teams
- Prize giving will follow as soon as results are processed after the final athletes finish
- There are medals for individuals and teams + trophies for the individuals
- Venue: Scarborough by the clocktower
- Distances: 350m swim / 9km bike / 3km run – draft legal for individuals non drafting for teams
- The format will be all ages groups start together so there will be:
- All Male individuals race together
- All Females individuals race together
- All teams race together (we will split into male/female if number warrant it)
- Entry –
- Individuals $35 / Teams $45
- ENTER HERE http://eventplus.net/CSS20
- NOTE – ALL ENTRANTS MUST HAVE ONE VOLUNTEER FROM THEIR SCHOOL TO ASSIST WITH MARSHALLING. Without this happening we will not have a race.
- Race Age Categories: The age category for an individual is determined by their age on 1st January in the year of the event.
- Individual divisions – Under 14, Under 16, Under 19.
- Team divisions – is taken as of the age of the oldest member of the team.
Race Timing: The timing for this event will be done manually and each entrant will receive a total event time only.
Medical: There will be a Medical Team on hand to deal with any medical issues that arise.
Race Cancellations: The race will be conducted on the day unless extreme weather conditions or other natural events prevail.
RACE RULES + SAFETY PLAN – CLICK HERE
Course Details / Maps:
SWIM – 350m course. Likely starting from the lifeboat ramp out to a buoy, turn left toward the exit by the steps in front of Ocean cafe (next to the clocktower) *if there are big waves and the swim cannot be held the swim will be replaced with a 1.5km run.
- right out of transition on Heberden
- right into Nayland
- left Head St
- right into Colenso
- 3 laps
- Along Colenso
- left into Wakefield
- left into Heberden (over a small hill) – this road is narrow
- left into Colenso
- After completing 3 laps of the above “triangle”
- Right into Head St (you must give way to traffic when turning right)
- Right into Nayland turns left into Heberden
- Left into transition
RUN – 3 laps on the promenade finishing in front of the clocktower.
Individuals and teams will race over the same distances
- DRAFTING is allowed on the bike for the individual and tag team event. There is NO DRAFTING for the relay teams
- In school championships disc wheels, tri spokes, wheel covers or deep rimmed wheels over 45mm (when measured from rim edge) are not permitted.
- All wheels must have a minimum of 12 spokes.
- Only ITU legal aero bars are allowed for individual event. Aero Bars are allowed for the teams race.