Kia Ora School Managers
in light of the Covid 19 Emergency and to give certainty to schools in the Canterbury region school cycling will be suspended for Term 2.
1. All Canterbury school sport has been cancelled for term 1 and the disease has now moved from control to the community phase. We have seen expert advice that it may take till August to peak.
2. Despite Cycling being in the outdoors it is a close proximity sport and the chance of infection is high.
3. It is clear that we have a community obligation to protect each other. With approximately 300 riders supporters and officials gathering each week this is outside the level 4 safeguard and inappropriate at Level 3.
4. Most importantly most of our support team are older. From a health and safety perspective it would be reckless to put them in close contact with potential infection.
5. With regard to South Island Schools road Championships we feel this is outside our risk parameters and will be advising the Cycling New Zealand Events team accordingly. We think they will adopt the same safety first approach however we will advise further on that event.
6. We will make a decision in early June whether racing will resume in term 3. if it does it will take the form of a combination of TT and Team TT events to enable schools to prepare for Nationals.
7. Stay safe, these precautions are to save lives, there will always be a chance to ride bikes.